The Presidency has debunked the story making the rounds in the media that President Muhammadu Buhari was banned from entering the USA for fifteen years. The claim purportedly made by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar who recently resigned from APC was said to have been published by Dele Momodu. Atiku had said that Buhari was banned from entering the USA on account of religious considerations.
However, a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina has totally denied the claim and advised the former Vice President to settle his issues with the USA and leave the President out of it. The statement read thus:
“Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, claims in an interview published Saturday that “for about 15 years, Buhari could not enter America on account of religious considerations.”
This fictive concoction being passed off as truth is mind boggling, coming from a former Number Two man of Nigeria, who should know the truth. At no time was President Buhari, as a private person, ever forbidden from entering any country in the world. Rather, the rest of the world has always held Muhammadu Buhari as a man of sterling qualities, strong on integrity, transparency and accountability. The same testimony is still borne of the Nigerian President by many world leaders today.
It is curious that former VP Abubakar had been asked why he had not visited America for over a decade, something that had been a stubborn fact dogging his footsteps. Instead of answering directly, he begged the question, saying Buhari also had been disallowed from entering the same country for 15 years, before becoming President.
We hereby make it resoundingly clear that what the former Vice President said only exists in the realm of his imagination. If he has issues to settle with American authorities, he should do so, rather than clutch at a straw”.
Special Adviser to the President
(Media & Publicity)
December 2. 2017