New Year’s Resolutions: How Far?
Welcome to March! It’s 3 months into 2022 and I’m wondering how far you’ve come with your New Year’s Resolutions. Life usually finds a way to make us let go of all the ‘virtuous’ decisions we hoped to make for a better life. If you happen to be one of the few that has “lose 20kg before September” as one of their resolutions, here are a few tips on how you can make your workout sessions count to meet your goal.
Be specific about what you want to achieve.
A great step to getting what one wants is to hit the nail on the head as regards details. What would you like exactly?
- Lose 15 inches around your waistline?
- Fit into a particular piece of clothing?
- Sleep up to 7 hours a night? (yes, exercise helps achieve that too),
- Have more energy during the day?
- Think clearly and reduce stress?
- Increase strength and endurance?
- All of the above?
Giving the appropriate answers to these questions will give you a clear idea as to how much work you may be required to put in per session.
How Best To Achieve It.
When it has become clear what you are working towards, you can then decide how best to get there. Several questions do come to mind when considering this
- How much time can I make out daily/weekly?
- Should I take a daily walk to work or get a membership in a gym?
- Do I use a workout app or hire a personal trainer?
- Do I join a motivational group (5k/10k trainers within the neighbourhood) or activate my ‘lone ranger’ mode?
- Would a diet plan work well for me or am I better off with portion control?
Being aware of your strengths and weaknesses will help you determine where best you need support and how to get it.
Now that you have the why and how columns checked, do make room for other factors that may appear not so important but truly are; proper clothing. I’ve personally had my fair share of injuries resulting from improper workout wear. Considering the following questions would aid you in avoiding such discomfort while putting in work to achieve your set goal.
- Would my workout require stretchy leggings or lightweight tops?
- Am I better off with running or training shoes?
- Will long or short sleeves wear better this time of the year?
- Would I need a headband, wrist band or an arm sleeve for this particular session?
- Would I be needing low, medium, or high impact bras?
Going into a workout session fully prepared and properly dressed allows you to focus on the required activities rather than keeping your ‘goods’ from popping out or avoiding clothes-burn.
No good thing comes easy, they say and I totally agree. It would be important to also include that just a few days of exercise might not get you long-lasting results. If this is all about looking good for summer, then Congratulations! You’ve achieved your goal. clap clap. But if you are looking to adopt a healthier lifestyle, then you should aim for consistency; allow your body to get into the routine, to adjust, to profit from all the hard work you’ve been putting in and will still put into it. Give yourself time basically.
Make each workout session count!!
Nwakaego is a copywriter and can be reached via her Facebook account.